A couple of years ago I bought myself an NS eccentric hard tail. 140-150mm travel, 27.5 wheels, thru axles. Everything you’d want on a hardcore hardtail.
It’s had many guises over the last wee while, but i’ve now built it up again, with what I consider the best build yet.
Hardcore hardtails are still all the rage but to make the most of them here a a few tips to getting the best out of your much loved slede:
- Don’t over spec it’s not meant to be high-end, half the fun is riding something you don’t car too much about
- Not too much travel yes you can bang on a 160/170mm but the bike’s geometry is going to be out of sink: 140/150mm max is going to produce the most fun
- keep the front end low. with longer front travel and no rear suspension the front end is going to rise up like a chopper from easy rider: slam the stem onto the headtube.
- Don’t expect to be as fast on the rocky stuff hardtail riding is about finding new lines and challenging yourself on sections that normally you glide over on your fully: enjoy the new challenge and hone in your skills, it’ll pay dividends once you get back on your fully
- Frame: NS Bikes Eccentric frame (size large)
- Fork: Rockshox Revelations 150mm (thanks Jono for the sale)
- Wheels: DT Swiss 533DB Enduro rims / XT hubs
- Tyres: Specialized Butcher/Slaughter (fr/rr) (cheers iride)
- Stem: DMR Defy 50mm
- Handler bars: Spank spoon
- Brakes: slx/xt mash up (thank Ali for lending me the XT brake!)
- Drive train: Sram/Shimano mash up of all sorts